Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How Often should I change/inspect my oil and air filter?

I have an '05 crf150f. Whats the process in cleaning/washing a filter or is it even ok for it to be sticky? How often should I actually replace it? as well as the oil... Thanks.How Often should I change/inspect my oil and air filter?
your manual will tell you your maintenance interval's, your air filter has filter oil on it which catches fine dust particles and sand, the stickier the better, If you wash your air filter which is common make sure you buy some air filter oil and squeeze it in thoroughly..How Often should I change/inspect my oil and air filter?
There is not one standard oil made or sold in this country that is warrantied by the oil manufactor for more than 3000 miles. Not one. On every one of my vehicles, that I run standard oil-ie not synthetic but 10w30,40 etc $2.00 a quart stuff in I change the oil every 3000 miles or sooner on my motorcycles. On the bikes it is every 2500 miles. Now as to the filter-I recommend changing it with every oil change. Most paper filters for oil will start to break apart and I have seen first hand the results of not changing the $5 filter-a clogged oil pump and then a $1000 top end and main bearing job. Spend $12 and get the oil and filter and change it every 2500 miles. You will not have problems with your engine ever. One more thing to check-most motorcycles have a oil screen that can be removed periodically. On most it is located at the bottom of the engine, usually toward the rear. Some it is under the chain/drive shaft area on the left side, other bikes it is on the right side. It will look like a bolt head and is usually next to a engine/frame bolt. Remove it and periodically clean the screen from the metal shavings and paper from filters that can accumulate on it. Your engine will thank you if it has one.



The filter is another area-stock filters are okay-not great. They are more restrictive than foam filters for getting air thru. If you can change it to K%26amp;N or the other brand. Yes you will have to oil the filter and clean it periodically, but you will never have to replace it again. Your engine will have more air to work with and more air usually means more horsepower. We are not talking turning your bike into a rocket here, but you should notice a subtle power difference.How Often should I change/inspect my oil and air filter?
Oil lasts a lot longer these days than it used to. It doesn't break down as fast as it used to, but it still gets just as dirty. So instead of changing your oil every 3000 mi. and your filter every other time, you change your oil ever 5000 mi. and put in a new filter each time. On a 150 you might consider 4000 mi. because a smaller engine works harder. Also trips are shorter so the engine runs cold more.



With the air filter it depends on what kind of air filter you have, and how quickly it gets dirty. Keep an eye on it. The paper kind, you can smack it on the ground a few times and lots of stuff falls off it. The foam kind you can wash out, you can see when it needs it. If it's a foam filter then yes, its supposed to be sticky!How Often should I change/inspect my oil and air filter?
I do mine every 2500 miles.
  • wireless mouse
  • emo myspace
  •