Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can I tell which direction the air flow is going on my air-conditioning/heating unit?

I need to change the air filter, but it's supposed to be inserted a particular way based on the direction of air flow. And there are no markings on the unit that indicate air flow.How can I tell which direction the air flow is going on my air-conditioning/heating unit?
John M probably lives in either a one-story house or an apartment. Not all return air systems filter like that. I have an a/c furnace in my basement, and the filter goes in there, not in the return air vent grille like John M is thinking. I also had the same dilemma. The best thing to do is cut a 6 or 8 inch strip of a plastic bag and carefully hold it on either side of the blower to see which way the air is flowing (be sure not to let go of it, though).

Also, after you figure it out, get a marker and draw an arrow inside your machine and write %26quot;air flow%26quot; so you don't forget. Did that once already too.How can I tell which direction the air flow is going on my air-conditioning/heating unit?
Air flow is from the AC to the house. If the filter goes into a hole in the wall, this is called a return air system. Put the filter in with the arrow pointing to the hole.How can I tell which direction the air flow is going on my air-conditioning/heating unit?
If it is a furnace, there is a metal air drop and a furnace, the air would be going into the furnace from the duct.