Thursday, September 22, 2011

How often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?

It's my first fish tank (Although I've had it since June). It's a Planet 3 Gallon tank (From Meijer) %26amp; it came with a filter: Lung GX100. How often should I change the airstone?



I haven't changed it at all, though my tank seems to be doing fine. I just want to make sure I'm not neglecting my fishies or my tank.How often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
Just change when you observe that the airstone is starting to break up, which takes a long time so don't worry. There is a small risk the airstone may get a bit clogged over time with debris and especially algae, just scrub it off with a brush (but no soap or chemicals). As a general rule, use airstones that can produce smaller bubbles for greater effectiveness, though these might clog more easily due to the smaller holes.How often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
Do you mean the filter or do you have an air-stone. The filter should be changed about monthly or sooner if it is plugged. An air stone can last a long time. You may want to replace it if it gets dirty and restricts the flow of air thru it.How often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
there is no predetermined time an air stone will last as they are either poor quality and crumble away or get plugged up with slime.

try and determine if the air flow is decreasing out of the stones or if your air pump has gotten noisier (both indicators of plugged air stones)

when you change them look for plastic airstones as they are slimmer in the filter and allow more water to pass them in the tubes.

goodluckHow often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
Depending on the hardness of your water and the cleanliness of your water you may need to change this every six months or every couple of years. They will slowly have build up from water minerals and will slowly have organic waste/slim build up on it as well. Most people never change these then wonder why their air flow slowed down due to back pressure on the pump. Air stones are cheap and you are better off changing them every 6 months to a year though they can work for a lot longer. The wood air stones and really fine bubbled air stones clog faster.How often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
As long as plenty of air is still coming out it is fine, usually around 6 months replace airstones and filter media, allthough the filter pads can be changed more frequently. As long as ample air is going into the tank should be fine, also if the fish are swimming on top sucking for air is a good indicator there is not enough oxygen in the waterHow often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
I wouldn't change the air stone at all unless it gets clogged and restricts airflow. As long as there are plenty of bubbles the air stone is working fine. . The filter should be replaced at minimum once a monthHow often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
Whenever it becomes clogged.How often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
I don't change mine at all...when I clean the tank I take out the stone and brush it with an old toothbrush to spruce it up a bit, but if things look normal...leave it be, sometimes we can cause more harm by messing with their environment.How often should I change the air stone in my Fish tank?
monthly if necessary
  • ie tab
  • graphics animation
  •