Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Air Filter and throttle body cleaner Question?

I know I need to change my air filter and I will do that, How often should you change it? Should I clean my throttle body is dirty if I clean it will I notice a different ? Should I also change the pvc valve?



The problem that I am having is sometime my rmp gages go up and down in you can feel some shaking, like is going to install this only happen on the morning or when the engine cold! Any suggest on what causing this problem?,



1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 with 110k,milesAir Filter and throttle body cleaner Question?
You should change your air filter whenever it is getting dirty. It depends on where you drive the car. If you drive on dirt roads often, you could need it every 5k miles. if you drive in the city exclusively, most of the time 15k miles will be the interval. Just check it regularly and change it when it looks dirty to you.



The throttle body isn't going to get dirty from a dirty air filter. The TB gets dirty from carbon build-up. A dirty air filter means that it was doing its job, catching all the dirt and dust and preventing it from being taken into the engine. If that filter wasn't there, the dirt/dust wouldnt accumulate on the throttle body anyways, it would be sucked into the cylinders and could potentially cause damage there or in the exhaust/catalytic converter system.



I think you mean the PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation). That is not related to the intake system. That allows air build up from the crankcase to be vented out and sucked into the engine and burned. That should be changed maybe every 60k miles, or whenever you are doing a repair that makes it easy to get to ie. replacing your valve cover gaskets.



My recommendation is to get a full EFI service. They will disconnect your fuel lines and fuel pump and run the engine on basically a solvent that will flush out the fuel rail and clean carbon build up from the injectors and fuel lines. They can also clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. You will most likely notice a difference in throttle response after this service is completed.



Your problem could be unrelated to your fuel system. You could have an unplugged vacuum hose that could explain your rpm fluctuations and shaking. You could also have a bad MAF (mass air-flow) sensor or MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. [you either have a MAP or a MAF depending on if you have a speed density intake system, I'm not sure on your year model Dodge, I am a Toyota guy] Anyways, if that sensor was bad, you would have a check engine light on.



I would start with the EFI flush though, as it is the most cost effective solution. And it is good to do anyways, it can increase your fuel mileage a little bit.



Good luck!