Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Air filter housing broken?

2002 Honda civic I took it in for an oil change and goodyear did a check off all things that needed to be done. Well I guess they broke the housing to my air filter when they checked to see if it needed to be changed...one of the bolts is stipped and cannot get it off. I couldn't take it back to the company since I didn't discover the probel till 3 months later for the next oil change. So how can I get this screw out so I can change my air filter?Air filter housing broken?
This happens alot.....it's a bad design on the airbox. They strip all the time. It's not likely that the tech did it, it was probably overtightened or cross threaded last time around.



The only way to do it is as follows - don't worry about removing the screws holding the airbox closed for now. The screws you want to remove are the ones that mount the entire airbox to the throttle body. Remove those, and the airbox comes off all in one piece. When it's off, you can flip it upside down and use a pair of vice-grips to hold the %26quot;nut%26quot; on the bottom of the housing that the screw goes in to. It looks like a round piece of knurled metal, you'll know what I mean when you have it apart. Once the screw is removed, you can replace the filter and reinstall the airbox. Use a normal nut and bolt through the damaged area to seal the airbox. It's a good idea to use some lubricant on the airbox screws in order to prevent the rest of them from seizing in the future, and don't over tighten them. They only need to be snug. Best of luck with your repair.